Wednesday 1 February 2012

1/2400th Peruvian Navy Circa 1879

Last week I finished my second set of models of the Peruvian navy circa the War of the Pacific (1879-1882), this time in 1/2400th scale. All the models are from tumbling dice, a wonderful little company that makes a great and very reasonably priced range of 2400th ships from the age of steam and iron – Including all the ships needed to wargame the War of the Pacific.

Photobucket
The Fleet all together.

Photobucket
From furthest to closest – the Sloop Pilcomayo, The Turret ship Huáscar and the Corvette Unión.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Whilst Tumbling Dice make a very nice model of the Huáscar, I took it upon myself to adjust it slightly to capture the character of the original ship, I did a very simple conversion, removing the masts and bow section and replacing them with a narrow flag pole out of brass wire and resulting the bow out of miliput. I’m really rather chuffed with how it turned out.

I have also painted up the Chilean fleet and will post some photos of it once the bases for them have turned up and they can be finished.


Oh, I also pained up some Brigade Models Airships for use with my Russian Fleet.
Photobucket

Tell me what you think

Marx

2 comments:

  1. very interesting. Could you say me the exact composition of your peruvian fleet and which models of the Tumbling Dice you used for? I have seen that only some ships are listed in the catalogue as the Huascar and Indipendencia, and the others? For the sloop and the the corvette do you use the generic ASW11 and ASW15 of the catalogue? Thanks in anticipation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alex1000,

    The Indipendencia and Huscar are the Tumbling Dice ASV61 (although I have re-sculpted and converted the base model a fair bit. For the Corvette Union I used the ASV16 Corvettes and the Gunboat is the ASV14. The monitors are all scratch built by myself and are made out of card and various bits and pieces.

    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete