Saturday 15 October 2011

Flames of War: Armia Krajowa (Home Army)


Photobucket


Just thought I’d show what I’ve been up to this week. I’ve got a fair way towards finishing my current Flames of War force. To get up to the playable skirmish points threshold of 750 Points I only have to finish another 6 bases of elite infantry and a pair of improvised armoured cars that I can swap out for the Hetzer. I have yet to buy these miniatures however, and am not allowed to (by order of the wife) buy them until I have finished an as yet undecided amount of my lead hillock – for the time being this force will remain at the 75% level of completion and rather unplayable. Anyway, enjoy and tell me what you think…


Photobucket
Partisan Platoon


Photobucket
Pair of 76mm Light Howetzers


Photobucket
A Pair of captured 75/Pak40s


Photobucket
Machine Gun Platoon


Photobucket
A home-made mortar platoon


Photobucket
A pair of captured German Assault guns, a Hetzer and a StuH 42


Photobucket
And finally, a pair of home-made Molotov/Mortar Round Catapults. These are very simple scratch builds made of a 1/72 suspension spring and a sliced up wooden coffee stirrer. I’m pretty happy with the result given the miniscule amount of effort involved and the character they help to give the force. In-game, I’ll count them as Light Mortars


They were a real improvised weapon used by the Polish resistance during the Second World War, particularly during the Warsaw Uprising. They were very simple, made from car and lorry suspension springs attached to wooden bases, and could launch various petrol bombs and home-made or captured mortar shells They varied from crude springs bolted to pieces of wood to larger and more complicated and medieval-looking types with larger stands and winches and locks that would allow the weapon to be drawn back and held before firing.
Photobucket
Picture of a surviving example kept at a Warsaw Military Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment