Tuesday 13 May 2014

Oathswarn Miniatures 'Project Pantheon' Kickstarter

Hey Internet,

I have just backed my first ever 'Kickstarter' project!

I don't think that I've muttered about it on here much before, but I've never been a fan of kickstarter (and other crowd-funding systems) in our little hobby.

I love the idea of it - a way for people to share their enthusiasm and get new projects off the ground - but I couldn't help but feel that some companies have turned crowd-funding into a sort of glorified pre-order system.

I mean, there’s nothing inherently wrong with that; I just feel it gives out a vibe of dodgyness. I can't escape the feeling that placing all that money in the hands of small companies will go awry at some point...

 photo d6ae0725f0b77e9d272a1e0592dc2a93_large_zpsc6753526.jpg


But, yes, anyway. I've made the leap and backed 'Project Pantheon 1: Odin, Lord of Asgard' by Oathswarn Miniatures.

Its a simple very simple project with a nice low buy-in of £22.

For that small investment I'll be getting a very pretty looking 40mm scale model of the Norse God Odin, mounted on his eight-legged horse Sleipnir, which I will of course be putting into my 'Of Gods and Mortals' Project.

 photo 7f216441d84b4c381a2731cb5577c0f3_large_zpse0d2826a.jpg


At first glance, £22 felt like a terrible lot for a single figure, but I've since had no problem justifying it to myself - its huge and its bloody lovely.

I have no idea how well this new addition will fit in with the converted OOP Spartan Games 40mm Greeks that I have been using as Gods so far, but really I don't care. Even if there is a noticeable disparity, I'm only ever going to have one or two Gods on the table at any one time, and even then, they are flipping Gods after all, so it hardly matters.

 photo aa528549bb94712c9f82e770924d01a0_large_zps07bdf091.jpg


Much to irritation of my bank manager, the sculptor has already got his teeth into their next Norse God sculpt, Freyja, brother of Freyr,riding her dire boar Hildisvini. If she ends up looking as good as the fellow I've put my money down for already, I fear she will too find herself in my possession before too long.


Mr. R. C. Marx

No comments:

Post a Comment